Saturday, May 19, 2007

Knee surgery postponed

Today was the Fargo Marathon.
A year ago this week my would-be knee surgeon said, You can run (the Fargo Marathon), but you probably won't finish. I was scheduled for surgery, but got scared out by the complicated hospital scheduling procedure.
I canceled the surgery.
I ran the marathon. I finished the marathon.
After consulting with my naturopath,
I started taking large doses of glucosamine and chrondroitin, a multivitamin, Vitamin D.
An amazingly productive thing I did was quit wearing running shoes while working in the kitchen. I wear my heavy wool socks, and my feet slip instead of sticking to the floor as they would in rubber soled shoes... And my knees are spared all that twisting as I scurry around the kitchen doing cooking and clean-up.
Also, getting in and out of the car, I take just an extra moment to move carefully, so I don't twist either knee.
I'm a slow runner, but since the Fargo, I have finished four other marathons, and also about 30 shorter races.
My knees give me very little pain.
Today I did 6K. It is another Best Day of the Year.

No comments: