Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Cherish Walking

My daughter and I have finished ten marathons... in nine different states.

Sometimes people say, “Oh I could never do that; I just walk.”
“Walking is good,” I always quickly reply. “You go! Keep it up.”

Walking is a treasure right up there with sight and hearing and a clear mind (free of alzheimers.)

Having the ability to walk is the gift of a million choices about where to go, where to live.. And how to live.

Walking is an avenue to using up enough calories to be able to eat the nutrients I need... and an occasional little dish of ice cream!
Walking helped us two achieve our Weight Watchers goal weight.

At the age of 88, my grandmother lost walking... and immediately lost the power to live in her own little house. It didn’t kill her. She lived to the age of 92...in a wheel chair, in a nursing home. I will always wonder if physical therapy... getting her out of bed... encouraging stretching and exercising.... might have enabled her to regain the strength to walk.

In the past it was considered an embarrassment to use a cane or a walker. What a joy it is to see some older folks achieving mobility... walking... with canes or walkers.

Myeloma is a blood cancer that eats the bones out from the inside. With my Honey’s myeloma, one of the biggest terrors is that he might fracture a bone which would deter his running... well, even his walking! When he tells his cancer doctor that he has run another marathon, the doctor says, whatever you are doing, keep on doing it. Impact helps to strengthen bones.
Running is a life-giving essential of Runner Dude’s days.

I don’t have myeloma, but when I run, my heart is flying with the joy that I can run.. And I can walk. I believe the saying, “Use it or lose it” definitely applies to walking.

Walking... running... stretching....massaging....strolling....eating healthy.... getting good sleep.... getting out of the chair....putting one foot in front of the other....and walking!

I cherish this best day of the year... I cherish walking.

No comments: