Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Kansas City Half Marathon

At the expo:

IMAGES ALONG THE KANSAS CITY HALF MARATHON RACE COURSE

















Volunteers along the course were GREAT. Water stops were good; traffic control on all the cross streets was exceptional. Weather was nearly ideal, ranging from quite brisk to a bit hot.
Kansas City is HILLY. The course was laid out in a pretty manageable route.. with downtown, neighborhoods, parks, etc.: INTERESTING RACE.

Read a good report about the marathon on Make It A Masterpiece.

BUT THEY RAN OUT OF HALF MARATHON MEDALS!!
The finish area was chaotic. Volunteers seemed uninformed.
We had to ASK about medals. The excuse was that they had an unexpected number of last minute sign ups. Well, 3 hours after the race began, I think they might have prepared the finish area volunteers.

I think they should have quickly volunteered and instructed us.
The tent for signing up for medals was some distance outside the finish area.
"Maybe in 3 weeks", someone said.

"If I don't have my medal, what picture can I post tonight on my blog?" I asked one gracious volunteer. "I can think of a couple of pictures!" she said.

Some marathoners did not get their finishers' shirts, which were piled along a fence. No one was handing them out.

Until the finish, IT WAS A GREAT AND ENJOYABLE RACE!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sunshine,
Thanks for your comment on The Beast, don't understand what you mean about it being complicated to post on the other blog. I posted a test without problems. Is it a Blogger thing? I appreciate your comments and want to be able to get them

Teresa

A Plain Observer said...

as a race director of a half marathon I know how much work goes into it but...volunteers are a must and must be informed of their duties.
there is no second chance to make that finish line impression