Sunday, August 29, 2010

Celebration of my Godmother

A committal service at graveside

Let us pray:
Gracious Spirit of all mercies
Through the abundance of your love
We are your children.
You have promised to be with us forever.
Comfort us in this time of grief
With the precious and sure hope
of Resurrection.

Scriptures:
Revelation 7 ".... for the Lamb, who is at the center of the throne, will be their shepherd and will lead them to springs of living water. And God will wipe every last tear from their eyes."

Job 19:25 "For I know that my Redeemer lives....."

John 11:25 "I am the resurrecton and the life..."

1 Corinthians 15:57 "... thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."

Precious words in the liturgy:
"...keep our sister, in the company of all your saints..."
"In sure and certain hope of the resurrection to eternal life through Jesus Christ..."

Praying together the Lord's Prayer.


God of all life, grant us grace to walk with you
in sure confidence of your eternal love.
Energize us to comfort one another as we
have been comforted.
May we go in unity of Spirit with all creation,
remembering that we are Easter people.
Inspire us to do justice,
share and receive forgiveness,
love kindness,
and walk humbly with you, our God. Amen.

Receive the blessing
May God bless you. May the peace of God which passes understanding sustain your heart and mind in Jesus, the Risen Christ. Amen.

"Jesus Loves Me" sung by the great-grandchildren, placing flowers on the grave.

Back at the house, the gathering of family and friends


The dessert table... and through the window you can see the luncheon table, all graciously set as she would have chosen.



Lovely weather, with a breeze off the lake, and lunch and conversation under the pines

Youngest of the great-grandchildren



My Godmother was there at my baptism, my ordination, and most important celebrations in between. I can picture her in their kitchen preparing Thanksgiving dinners.
At 18 months, I was flower girl at her wedding.
Deepest and highest of honors to be asked to officiate on this day.....

The prayers at the beginning and the end of the committal, based on Scripture of course, were written by me.
Liturgy was from the pastors' Occasional Services book, an ordination gift (twenty-five years ago!) from my brother, his wife, and their family.
The benediction is the one I used in all the years of my interim ministry.

Let us go in peace.

5 comments:

A Plain Observer said...

Beutiful.
How great is to read of your faith

Amytrigirl (aka Amybee) said...

I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like she was a very important person in your life and a wonderful person on this earth.

peter said...

I am sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful person, and such a beaautiful memorial. The picture of the young one near the end is what we pass on as we go through this life and our mortality becomes apparent.

Sunshine said...

About the young one: my thought exactly.
We all appreciated hear from you.
Wishing you well, as always, friend.

Susie Hemingway said...

I am very sorry to read of your recent loss. "Eternal rest give unto her Oh Lord and let perpetual light shine upon her, may she rest in peace Amen"
Blessings Sunshine.