Thursday, August 30, 2007

Gluten free grains

So what if a major portion of the population does not digest well the gluten protein in some grains? What if gluten is hard on the digestive system and even affects the ability to burn fat? What if gluten .. or gliadin in gluten ... is an allergen. Lots of information .. and probably mis-information... exists on the internet. Check out "gliadin" on your favorite search engine.
I am experienting with eating "gluten free".

Some other grain choices (gluten free):
amaranth, kasha, millet, quinoa, tef, wild rice... and of course a marvelous selection of rice... brown, basmatic, aromatic, long grain, short grain, arborino, etc.

Quinoa, available in bulk at food co-ops, is especially tasty, I think.
Oats, organic and processed in a wheat-free facility, may be a possibility.
I am reluctant to give up my breakfast (organic) oatmeal. Bob's Red Mill has gluten free rolled oats, which most people can tolerate.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

In fact, eating whole grains is an excellent idea. I have switched (for the most part) to whole-grain pasta. The taste takes some getting used to, but the benefits are tremendous. Take a look at this presentation titled: "Nutritional and Lifestyle Influences on Multiple Myeloma": (http://www.myeloma.org/pdfs/Chandler_Nutrition.pdf). If you do a search for amaranth or quinoa, you will get a list of whole grains that are good for MMers, and, I am sure, for healthy people as well! In fact, if I could go back in time, the only major change I would make would concern my diet, which used to be terrible, especially at university, sigh. My diet now is much better, of course. Well, better late than never!
;-) Margaret, Florence, Italy

Renee said...

I'm always amazed by what we eat that we can't digest and just go on eating anyhow. I love millet and quinoa but haven't been making them much lately. Maybe I'll get back to it.