Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"Made in China" heater melt-down

China magic With double-digits below zero this week, we bought this little heater for our living space, thinking we could save a little by not turning up the whole-house furnace. HA! Great idea that turned out to be .. when the cute little heater began to melt and stink right before our eyes and noses this morning.

I shudder to think about one of those things left on all night in a child's room. It looks so safe: not easily tipped over, protection against little fingers.

This heater is new. We bought it only a few days ago, and used it for a couple of hours on 2 consecutive days (not overnight).

More details on Make It a Masterpiece.

9 comments:

Vickie said...

I'm telling you, they're out to get us in one way or another! Lead in toys; poison in pet food. What next??

Non-Runner Nancy said...

oh dear, I'm glad you are safe. That is scary.

Mr. Satan A. Chilles said...

Obvious advice, I know, but take it easy in those double digit temperatures below zero. Anybody who has to deal with that deserves some kind of merit badge! I'm surprised that little heater lasted as long as it did, though I don't blame you for trying it out.

Keep warm! Spring's coming...

rocketpants said...

YIKES! It does look innocent enough. I'm glad no one was hurt.

Backofpack said...

That is too scary! Thank goodness you were paying attention. And double digit below zero? And you think I'm tough? No. We get nothing like that here. The lowest it got recently was 21 and that was on a bright sunny day. Messy rain, snow and ice, but temps in the 30s are the norm!

cindy said...

Wow, that's pretty crazy. I'm glad no one was hurt.

Lisa - Slow & Steady said...

That is scary stuff!!! God thing you saw it melting before it caused a fire or something!!

peter said...

Thanks for the warning! I have a heater that looks like that that I'll look over and observe working very carefully when I get home.

WADDLER26.2 said...

Thankful that no on was hurt! Scary stuff.