Sunday, June 7, 2009

Deadwood Mickelson Trail Half Marathon

In the Black Hills of western South Dakota

RAIN!
COLD!

Severely limited speed due to knee pain, plus the unseasonable cold, and the possibility of waiting in the rain for an hour at the start equals too much possibility of hypothermia.
It was a painful decision, Saturday night, not-to-run!
I realized I was risking all the recent praise for being seriously hardcore, seriously studly, etc.

Bus loading in the rain at 5:30am

Rain and fog hanging low in the mountains (here at the finish) all day long.

On Saturday (day before the race) we drove to a few points along the beautiful Mickelson Trail.

A cloudy day, but a marvelous trail to run.

For more about the Deadwood Mickelson Trail Marathon and Runner Don's race see
minnesotadon.blogspot.com.

7 comments:

Backofpack said...

I still think you are hardcore and studly, but even better smart on top of it! I hope I will be as smart about the heat when Seattle RnR rolls around. It's a tough decision to make, and way too easy to second-guess yourself. I think you did the right thing!

CewTwo said...

In addition to your being hardcore and studly (much more so than am I), I think you are also one smart lady! That is not a new realization, though.

Good call!

Elaine Merrill said...

There's studly but then there's stupid. I think you're the former but not the latter. You did the right thing!

ShirleyPerly said...

Yes, I'm with the others above. No sense in possibly risking further injury. Hope the weather will be better at your next race!

Anne said...

There's hardcore and then there's foolish. Some don't know the difference, but I'm glad you do.

Beth said...

I'm sorry that you didn't get to run, but you were smart to save it for another day. There are so many races, to be a long-term athlete you have to take care of yourself. I'm glad you got to see the wonderful trail and be there to support Don.

Vickie said...

I know absolutely what you are talking about with the weather! It was horrible driving through both times. Funny I only found out about this marathon after getting back. It was so rainy, foggy, and cold the day we were supposed to go to Mt. Rushmore we couldn't even see anything. Glad you enjoyed yourself despite the weather!