Thursday, October 23, 2008

Des Moines Farmers' Market

In celebration of the weekly (Saturday morning) Des Moines Farmers' Market!
We were on the way to drive the marathon race course last Saturday (see previous post), and quickly came across the extensive Farmers' Market, with many streets closed to traffic east of the Polk County Court House (in the distance in the picture below)
This was the largest most marvelous farmers' market I have seen.

In the picture above, one of the many tents offering heirloom tomatoes.

One farmer was selling his frozen emu meat, another frozen elk.
There were many vendors selling ready-to-eat food of all sorts.
Wonderful Iowa produce, of course... some of it organic.
This woman, selling homemade fudge, was taking orders for Christmas.
Attractive handmade jackets...

Crafts too...

Pottery...

An abundance of flowers...

And even home-sewn APRONS!
We bought an Iowa-grown seedless watermelon for our post-race supper.
It was the best of the season.
If
ever you are in Des Moines on a Saturday morning (spring, summer, fall) be sure to tour the Des Moines Farmers' Market.

6 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

Wow, that's a very big farmer's market! I've never seen emu or elk meat being sold before. Something I guess I missed out on when I ran my race in Iowa last year (Siouxland Marathon in Sioux City, Iowa). But fudge I have seen before, probably more times than I should :-)

Vickie said...

Emu meat?? I've had ostrich, so maybe its similar. Beautiful pictures. I really do want to get to DeMoines some day.

peter said...

Terrific post--I was there! The farmer's market in our town, though fun and nice, barely takes up a street block. Course I'm never around on Saturday morning (club runs) to enjoy it.

Susan said...

That looks just beautiful! Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous said...

That looks like a very fun farmer's market. I like the craft section - looks like come cute gift bags. Thanks for the pictures :)

Amytrigirl (aka Amybee) said...

WOW! who says Des Moines is boring?

Great job at the Marathon too!